Welcome to Lewis Library of Glasgow
Enjoy a vast ONLINE reading selection by joining Missouri Libraries 2Go! First, see our librarian for access credentials and then click the link below.
"NEW" AT LEWIS LIBRARY OF GLASGOW
Stop by Lewis Library to see the three new George Caleb Bingham prints displayed on the east wall. We acquired the prints as part of a larger effort to create a central Missouri George Caleb Bingham driving tour. But more on that later. The prints were purchased through donations. The frames were also donated. The large print, “Cottage Scenery” is framed with walnut wood, a gift of Ken Groshong of Columbia. The portraits of Judge Henry Lewis and Mrs. Henry Lewis are in antique frames, a gift of Fred Foley.
You should also check out the Henry Lewis Bible and diary-journal recently donated to Lewis Library of Glasgow by William Richard Smith and his sister, Anne Yorkey, of California. The bible was printed in 1819 and Henry’s diary-journal dates to 1831.
Henry Lewis was born in 1782 in Campbell County, VA and his wife, Elizabeth Morton (Woodson) Lewis was born in 1790 in Prince Edward County, VA. They moved to Glasgow in 1819.
These documents are significant to Howard County and specifically Glasgow in that they contain a large variety of information about those early days.
Richard Earickson Lewis contacted Richard Smith and his sister, Anne, and they generously donated these two documents as their roots are also in the early years of Howard County and Glasgow. The two documents were personally delivered to Lewis Library of Glasgow by Richard Lewis’ daughter, Virginia (Lewis) Chole of Lake Wylie, SC.
About Our Library
Lewis Library is both a historic library and a working community library in Glasgow, Missouri. Lewis Library serves as the oldest continuously operating public library building west of the Mississippi and the second oldest public library in Missouri.